Makes ~ 3 servings
- ½ cup wild rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 ¼ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 ¼ cup sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup cauliflower, cut into bite size florets
- 1 cup carrots, cut into ¼ inch rounds
- 2 cup vegetable stock, divided
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 5 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
For the wild rice:
Choose which ever method you prefer, stove top, baking, Instapot, etc.
You can find these cooking methods on our blog page:)
For the soup:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss the cauliflower florets in 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place on one side of a baking sheet.
- Repeat the same process with the sweet potatoes. Bake cauliflower and sweet potatoes for 25-30 minutes, tossing halfway.
- Meanwhile, place 1 tsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onions and sweat for 2 minutes. Add the carrot rounds, thyme and 1 cup of stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, allow to steep for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes strain the onions, carrots, and thyme out of the broth. Add more broth to make up 2 cups. Discard the thyme.
- Make a roux. In a large saucepan add 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Once heated, add 3 tablespoons flour and mix constantly until homogenous. Slowly add the broth back to the roux while stirring constantly.
- Add cauliflower, sweet potato, onions, carrots and wild rice to soup. Allow to simmer. Taste for any needed salt and pepper. Add more broth based on soup preference!
- Serve with chopped parsley (optional)
Leave a comment: